Pulao – Rice with the vegetable recipe.
A pulao is rice with vegetables, spices, and herbs. There are many varieties of making a pulao including, Peas pulao, Kashmiri pulao, Tawa pulao, Paneer, and more.
How to make Veg Pulao
- Start by soaking 1.5 cups of basmati rice in water continuously, clear of starch.
- Bring all the veggies together. Wash and cut them. Make sure to cut the vegetables into tiny cubes. Peel, wash, and slice 1 large onion thinly.
- Keep all the whole spices aside – cumin seeds, bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, elachi, black pepper, black cardamom, star anise, and mace.
- Combine chopped ginger, garlic, and 1 to 2 green chilies or black peppers to ground.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of ghee or oil in a deep thick bottomed pot or pan.
- Add all whole spices and fry for a few seconds until they become fragrant. Add thinly sliced onions. Mix the onions with ghee.
- The onions will become light golden. Once the onions are golden, add ground ginger, garlic, green chili (chili pepper) paste.
- Add ½ cup chopped tomatoes. After they are mashy, add all the chopped veggies.
- Add chopped coriander leaves. Mix rice smoothly with the rest of the ingredients. Pour 2.5 to 3 cups of water with salt into the pan. According to the quantity you have taken.
- Once the rice grains are cooked, fluff them and let the rice stand for 5 minutes covered with the lid.