|Papdi Chaat| |A chaat is Perfect Snack| |Delicious Street-food|
Papdi chaat is a North Indian street-side food bite commonly stuffed with a perfect combination of mouth-watering tasteful and flavors. Papri Chaat, a mix of chickpea, potatoes, several chutneys, yogurt, papdi, curd, sev, and garnished with coriander. Have this tasty dish quickly as a snack.
Ingredients Needed for chaat:
For Cooking Chickpeas, Potatoes
- Dried chickpeas – 1 cup or 2 cups of cooked or canned chickpeas
- 2 cups water for cooking chickpeas
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 potato – medium to large
For Papdi Chaat making:
- Papdi crispy puri or flour crackers about 30pc
- 1 cup curd/yogurt – whisked till lump free
- Onion: 1 small to medium, finely diced
- 1 tomato small to medium, finely diced
- ¼ cup chipped/finely chopped coriander leaves
- ½ cup mint coriander chutney (recipe *)
- Add ½ cup tamarind dates chutney – (recipe**)
- ¼ cup chili garlic chutney – (recipe***)
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- Take 1 teaspoon roasted/normal cumin powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chaat masala
- Add 1 teaspoon black salt/regular salt, or add as required
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils – optional
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ cup sev – optional
Steps to follow:
Cooking the chickpeas
- Wash chickpeas in the water several times. Soak them in water overnight or for 8 hours.
- Next, remove the soaked water and wash the chickpeas over a few times. Add the chickpeas to a pressure cooker together with water and salt.
- To cook a potato, add potato to a steel bowl. (don’t use a glass bowl as it will break) Set this steel bowl with the potato in the cooker with the chickpeas and water mixture. Both will be boiled together.
- Cover the cooker tightly with the lid and pressure cook on medium heat until the pressure starts developing and the whistle comes. Then lower the flame a bit and again pressure cook for 10 to 12 whistles.
- When the pressure descends on its own in the cooker, then only raise the lid.
- Check the potato by entering it with a fork. It should be soft, light, and the fork should readily pass by it. Raise the potato with a fork and set it down to cool at room temperature.
- Check if the chickpeas are cooked. They should have a soft. Empty the water and set the cooked chickpeas aside.
For assembling papdi chaat
- Arrange 6 to 8 papdi on a simple plate.
- Cover it up with some chopped and boiled potato cubes and boiled chickpeas.
- Add chopped onions and tomatoes at this point.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala, cumin powder, and optionally Kashmiri red chili powder on it.
- Top with whisked curd.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the green chutney.
- Next, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the sweet tamarind chutney. Also, add 1 to 2 teaspoons of the spicy chili garlic chutney smoothly.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala, red chili powder, cumin powder, and black salt or regular salt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and pomegranate arils. Sprinkle sev on top, and this step is also optional.
- Add a bit of lemon juice to the papri chaat.
- Serve them quickly.