Butter naan| Naan recipe| How to make naan
Naan in a part of Indian cuisine usually indicates a special kind of thick flatbread. Usually, it resembles a flat pita, fermented with yeast using left-over dough (similar to dough made for roti) is more used. Naan is like some additional pieces of bread of South Asian cuisine, cooked in a tandoor, from which tandoori cooking takes its name.
- Prep Time: 2 hrs 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Cuisine: Indian
- Course: Main
- Difficulty Level: Moderate
- Servings: 9 naan
Ingredients to be required:
- ¼ cup Curd/Yogurt
- Take 1 teaspoon sugar
- A little 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil or butter
- ¼ to ⅓ cup water or add as required
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Butter or ghee or oil for brushing
Steps to follow:
- In a mixing bowl, beat ¼ cup fresh curd or yogurt.
- Add 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and a pinch of baking soda.
- Combine all the ingredients very well till the sugar melts.
- Then add 2 cups all-purpose flour (maida), 1 teaspoon salt, or add as required.
- Mix again with a spoon and evenly distribute the salt in the flour.
- Make a hole in the center and add 2 tablespoons of oil or add butter instead of oil.
- Add ¼ to ⅓ cup water or add as required.
- First mix and then begin to knead.
- Press to a soft and smooth dough. If the curd is solid, then add some more water. In-state, the dough looks dry, add some more water and knead. If it becomes sticky, sprinkle some flour and knead again, getting a soft, stretchy dough.
- Deflate the dough and brush some oil all covering the dough.
- Set a wet napkin fully covering the dough. Cover the bowl with a lid and let the dough leaven for 2 hours.
Rolling naan bread
- Form medium-sized balls of the dough.
- Evenly sprinkle some flour on the dough as well as on the rolling board.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on the rolled dough.
- Roll into a 6 to 7 inches elongated circle.
- Level the top side to get a sharp edge. The naan will have a tear-shaped form.
Making naan on stove-top
- Heat a skillet or tawa or griddle and keep it on medium-high to high flame. Place the naan bread ready on the hot tawa or skillet or griddle.
- Keep the flame to medium-high or high and begin to cook the naan bread.
- Let one side get partly cooked. You will see some air pockets on the naan.
- When you start seeing the air-pockets, then flip.
- Now cook the second side on medium-high to high flame.
- Again you will see air-pockets appearing on the second side.
- When you see many air-pockets on the naan, turn and place naan directly on the top of the flame.
- Grill the till you see some charred spots and blisters.
- Also, roast the edges.
- Roll over and roast the second side.
- Place it on a plate. Brush with some softened butter/ghee.
Cooking naan on a (tawa) or skillet
- Heat the griddle or skillet on a high flame. Place the naan on the hot griddle or tawa.
- You will see some air pockets on the naan.
- Flip the naan bread.
- Cook the second side more than the first side. Please note that on a high flame, they will get cooked faster.
- Press the edges with a spatula until roasted and cooked.
- Flip over and press the edges for even cooking. Lift and spread some butter or oil. Serve hot.
- Serve the naan bread hot or warm with your favorite curry dish – malai kofta or palak paneer or matar paneer or lentils like dal tadka or dal makhani or chole masala or rajma masala or dal Bukhara.
Also read about: Amritsari chole| Punjabi style chole steps|
- Veg Green Thai Curry | Home-made Thai Curry Paste |The Vegetarian Thai Green Curry is made with homemade Thai green curry paste, vibrant fresh hot chili peppers, and green coriander leaves, ground with lemongrass, and fill…
- Phulkopir Shingara | A Bengali Style Samosa |It’s best to describe eating phulkopi’r shingara as a transcendental experience. When you’re done, time stands still, and everything else in life seems to lose its appeal….
- Mexican Tomato & Corn Soup Recipe | Salsa, Nachos |The soup has a somewhat charred and smokey flavor because of the fire-roasted tomatoes. But don’t worry if all you have is a can of chopped tomato!…
- Authentic Punjabi Rajma Recipe | Punjabi Style Rajma |Rajma is a Punjabi dish cooked with kidney beans, onions, tomatoes, and spices that is softly spicy, creamy, and delicious. With the addition of additional water, the…
- Masala Maggi in Chinese style recipe in 5 minsMaggi is one of the most popular and simple rapid snack meal dishes using noodles and flavor enhancers. It’s basic, straightforward, and, more importantly, it appeals to…