Upma Recipe| How to make upma for breakfast|
Upma, also known as uppumavu or uppittu, is a thick porridge made from dry-roasted semolina or coarse rice flour, popular in Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Maharashtrian, Gujarat, Odia, and Sri Lankan Tamil breakfast.
Seasonings and veggies are added frequently throughout the cooking process, according to personal preferences. It is now in almost all parts of India and can be made in a variety of ways.
- Prep Time – 15 mins
- Cook Time – 15 mins
- Cuisine – Indian, South Indian
- Course – Breakfast, Brunch
- Difficulty Level – Easy
- Serving – 3
For roasting rava:
- 1 cup rava – fine quality
- 2 tablespoons Ghee or oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon chana dal (split and husked Bengal gram)
- Take 1 teaspoon urad dal (split and husked black gram)
- 10 to 12 cashews – optional
- A medium-size finely chopped onions
- Chopped green chili
- 1 finely chopped ginger
- Curry leaves
- 2.5 cups water or as required
- salt as required
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar or add as required – optional
- Chop finely 1 medium onion, 1 to 2 green chilies, 1-inch ginger, and a handful of coriander leaves( optional).
- Set the remaining ingredients aside as well.
- To begin, heat a pan or Kadai. Toss some rava.
- Start roasting the rava. While toasting the rava, stir often.
- The rava or sooji grains should become fragrant and dry, separate, and crisp as they cook.
- Browning the rava is not recommended.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the roasted rava to a plate to cool.
Sautéing and frying
- Ghee or oil heated in a pan. Toss the mustard seeds. The crackling sound of mustard seeds indicates that they are being fried.
- Combine the cumin seeds, chana dal, and urad dal in a mixing bowl.
- Fry until they start to brown or turn a light golden color.
- Add the cashews and cook them right away.
- When the cashews get golden, the lentils will turn golden as well.
- Add the finely chopped onions at this point. Cook the onions until they turn translucent.
- Then add the green chile, ginger, and curry leaves, chopped. For a few seconds, sauté.
- At this point, you can also add 1 dried red chili.
Making a pot of boiling water-
- Then, as needed, add 2.5 cups of water, sugar, and salt. Mix thoroughly and taste the water.
- It should have a slight saltiness to it, but not too much.
- Sugar is optional and can be omitted.
- Heat the water over a medium to a high temperature until it reaches a rolling boil.
- Reduce the flame to the lowest setting once the water has reached a rolling boil. Then, using a spoon, add the rava in 4 to 5 batches.
- Mix and whisk the rava as soon as you add it.
- The rava should be uniformly blended with the water throughout the entire batch.
- Add the second batch of roasted rava after that. Mix and stir once more.
- Continue to add and whisk the rava in this manner until the last batch is finished. Stir quickly and thoroughly.
- The rava grains absorb water and swell, becoming cooked as a result.
- Allow the rava upma to steam for 2 to 3 minutes over low heat, covered.
- Then extinguish the flame.
- The rava has been cooked, and the upma has been prepared.
- Finally, toss in the chopped coriander leaves.
- Recombine the ingredients.
- Serve them with pickles.
- Veg Green Thai Curry | Home-made Thai Curry Paste |The Vegetarian Thai Green Curry is made with homemade Thai green curry paste, vibrant fresh hot chili peppers, and green coriander leaves, ground with lemongrass, and fill it up with the best vegetables to…
- Phulkopir Shingara | A Bengali Style Samosa |It’s best to describe eating phulkopi’r shingara as a transcendental experience. When you’re done, time stands still, and everything else in life seems to lose its appeal. Seasonal cauliflower is used to make Phulkopi’r…
- Mexican Tomato & Corn Soup Recipe | Salsa, Nachos |The soup has a somewhat charred and smokey flavor because of the fire-roasted tomatoes. But don’t worry if all you have is a can of chopped tomato! It’ll still be a slam dunk. Also…
- Authentic Punjabi Rajma Recipe | Punjabi Style Rajma |Rajma is a Punjabi dish cooked with kidney beans, onions, tomatoes, and spices that is softly spicy, creamy, and delicious. With the addition of additional water, the aromatic and savory masala foundation is cooked…
- Masala Maggi in Chinese style recipe in 5 minsMaggi is one of the most popular and simple rapid snack meal dishes using noodles and flavor enhancers. It’s basic, straightforward, and, more importantly, it appeals to a wide range of people of all…