Jhal Sooji| How to make jhal sooji for breakfast in 2 min|
This is a Bengali version of the popular, similar to upma, a savory semolina snack enjoyed in many forms across India. The term ‘jhal sooji’ means savory, or spicy sooji, opposed to mishit sooji,’ which is a sweet semolina dish. This recipe is great for a late-night snack or a packed lunch for school.
What characteristics distinguish a great jhal sooji?
It’s light and fluffy, not bumpy. The final product should resemble wet sand, with distinct grains gleaming with ghee. It is completely soft and wet and should not be dry to eat. Before adding water sugar is added.
- Prep time – 5 min
- Cooking time – 15 min
- Crusine – Indian
- Difficulty – easy
- 200 g sooji (semolina) or 1 cup
- 45 g vegetable oil
- 18 g ghee or 1 tsp
- 1 dried red chili
- 1 bay leaf, 2 cardamoms, 1 cinnamon
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 50 g potatoes
- 25 g carrots
- 40 g cauliflower (florets)
- 60 g onions
- 20 g cashew nuts
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 4 g ginger
- 2 g garlic
- 20 g raisins
- 8 g salt
- 25 g sugar
- 265 g hot water
- 3 green chilies
- ¼ garam masala
Steps to follow:
- First, Potatoes and carrots should be cut into 1-cm cubes, while cauliflower cut into 2-cm florets. Slice the onions very thinly.
- Meanwhile, chop the ginger. Garlic should be chopped and crushed with a knife. Slit two and chop one of the three green chilies.
- Dry roast the sooji for 6 minutes over medium heat or until it emits a nutty scent. Stir constantly to ensure even roasting. It should be roasted well but not browned. When you’re finished, set it away.
- In a Kadai, heat the vegetable oil and ghee. Dry red chili, bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon, and cumin seeds are used to season. Half of the curry leaves are added now, and the other half is saved for later.
- Cook for a few seconds or until fragrant.
- Afterwards, cook for 2 minutes after adding the potatoes. After that, add the carrots and cauliflowers one by one and sauté for a minute each. Fry for 30 seconds after adding the onions.
- Secondly,cashew nuts and a sliced green chili are added. Stir everything together quickly.
- Mix in the turmeric. Fry for a few seconds with the chopped ginger. Add the crushed garlic, remaining curry leaves, and raisins after that. Combine all of the ingredients thoroughly.
- Combine the roasted sooji and salt in a mixing bowl. Fold the carrots in half to prevent them from breaking. Cook the sooji for 2 minutes with the vegetables and spices. Sugar is added.
- To prevent lumps from forming, pour hot water and whisk immediately. The water will be absorbed quickly by the sooji.
- Next add the second slit chili. If there are any lumps, break those gently using your spatula. Sprinkle garam masala and the chopped green chili on top.
- Finally, drizzle in the ghee, stir gently, remove from the heat, cover, and set aside for a few minutes before serving hot.