Masala Pav Recipe| Mumbai Style Masala Pav|
Masala pav is a spicy Mumbai street snack that is delicious.
The pav, or bread rolls, are sliced and filled with spice, buttery onion, tomato, and capsicum mixture. It’s a quick and delightful snack to make when you need something quick and filling to eat. It’s easy to duplicate or quadruple the recipe, and it’s also a wonderful party snack.
Serve dusted with chopped onion, lemon juice drizzled over top, and coriander leaves on the side.
- Prep time: 15-20 minutes
- Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
- Serves: 4-5 people
- Kashmiri Lal Mirch (Red chili) – 7-8 NOS. (Soaked)
- Lehsun (Garlic) – 1/3 CUP
- Butter – 3 TBSP
- Oil – 1 TBSP
- Jeera (Cumin Seeds) – 1 TSP
- Onion – 2 Medium chopped
- Capsicum – 1.5 sized chopped
- Tomatoes – 2 Chopped
- Beetroot – 1/2 Medium sized
- Green chili Paste – 1 TSP
- Salt to Taste
- Kashmiri Lal Mirch (Red chili) Powder – 1 TSP
- Coriander Powder – 1 TBSP
- A Pinch Of Garam Masala
- Pav Bhaji Masala – 2 TBSP
- Kasuri methi – 1 TSP
- Fresh Coriander a handful
- Chili & Garlic Paste – 7-8 TBSP
- Water 100-150 ml
For masala pav
- Butter 1 tbsp (for one portion)
- Chilli garlic chutney 2-3 tbsp ( a portion)
- Fresh coriander (chopped) as required
- Cheese as required
Steps to follow:
- In a mixer grinder, combine the soaked Kashmiri red chilies and garlic to produce a watery paste; set aside.
- Set a pan over medium heat and add the oil, butter, jeera, and onions. Stir constantly until the onions are translucent. Once the onions are translucent, add the capsicum, tomatoes, beetroot, green chili paste, salt, powdered spices, fresh coriander, and chili & garlic paste. Stir constantly for 2-3 minutes.
- Add more water and lightly mash the vegetables with a pav bhaji masher, leaving some chunks.
- Masala has been prepared. You can put it in a bowl and reheat it as much as you need.
For masala pav:
- To make the masala pav, cut into half lengthwise, leaving the end intact.
- Melt butter in a tawa with some freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Add a sufficient amount of prepared vegetable masala, and coat the pav well from all sides, cook for a few seconds.
- Squeeze some lemon juice, and finish with some freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve Garma garam masala pav with red garlic chutney and onions on the side.